- In today’s article, we are going to study about ‘The importance and types of oscillators’ and what is an oscillator. How beneficial it is and what is the difference between an amplifier and an oscillator. We will also read about some more topics like damped oscillator, essentials of amplifier, tank circuit, sustain oscillator, and advantages and disadvantages of an oscillator. So, take your notebooks in you hand and get ready to study physics in an easy and sorted way.
The electric device which convert DC power into AC power is called oscillator. This function is reverse of rectifier. This is because a rectifier converts AC power supply into DC power supply.
Classification of oscillator
Oscillator are of two types-
- Sinosodal oscillator
- Non-sinosodal oscillator
1) Sinosodal oscillator- the oscillator which gives the output in form of sine wave is called Sinosodal oscillator.
2) Non-sinosodal oscillator- the oscillator which gives waves not in dorm of sine waves are called non-sinosodal oscillator.
Types of Sinosodal oscillator
- Feedback oscillator
- Negative resistance oscillator
- Ulta high oscillator
Types of non-sinosodal oscillator
- Multivibrator oscillator
- Sawtooth generator
- Square wave generator
Difference between amplifier and oscillator
The device which is used to increase level or magnitude of input signal are called amplifier. And this process is called amplification. On the other hand oscillator is a device which convert DC power into AC power.
Essential of oscillation
(Essential for oscillation tank circuit)
Tank circuit– In the oscillation most essential part is the tank circuit. Tank circuit have two component capacitor and inductor. Capacitor stores energy in form of electrical energy while inductor stores energy in form of magnetic energy.
Firstly we fully charged the capacitor. Initially Upper plate is positively charged and lower plate is negatively charged. After sometime, charge dissipates (looses). Than electrical energy goes into inductor and stored in form od magnetic energy. Lower portion of inductor becomes NORTH pole whereas upper portion of inductor becomes SOUTH pole.
After sometime magnetic energy also looses and goes into capacitor. This time upper plate becomes negatively charged and lower plate becomes positively charged. And hence we get output wave in form of sine wave. Hence the required need.
When a wave starts after oscillation, gradually after a period of time it looses its energy and its amplitude goes on decreasing. This process of oscillation is called damped oscillation.
Sustain oscillation are that type of oscillation whose magnitude of amplitude does not decrease or we can say that all oscillation have same amplitude.
Condition for sustain oscillation
- The feedback factor |Aβ|=1
- The net output wave from always same as input wave form (should be in same phase)
Phase shift oscillator
In L-C (inductor-capacitor) oscillation L and C decided the frequency of oscillation. But in phase shift oscillator resistor and capacitor are present (R-C) both decides the frequency of oscillation in phase shift oscillator.
The oscillators circuit having three sections R1C1, R2C2 and R3C3, gives total phase shift is 180°. Each RC gives the 60° phase shift. Along with that a transistor is also applied and Transistor gives the phase shift 180°. Therefore total phase shift in output is 360°. And output frequency is,
f = 1/ 2πRC√6
Here R1 = R2 = R3 = R
And C1 = C2 = C3 = C
Here we have a emitter follower circuit in which follower resistance is RE and follower capacitor CE is present in this circuit. Which is always used or act like a cooling circuit. So that’s why this phase shift oscillator work properly for a long time
Advantage and disadvantage
- It is used for generate very low frequency.
- Phase shift oscillator provides good frequency stability.
- It doesn’t required any transformer and inductor.
- This gives very small output.
- If feedback is small then it doesn’t start.
Conclusion of The importance and types of oscillators:
So our article is finished and after completely reading this article, one can easily tell what an oscillator is and what are it’s types.
We can also tell actual difference between an oscillator and an amplifier. And we covered some other topics also, such as advantages and disadvantages of an oscillator.
So one can say that they got a detailed information about oscillator.
IT was an article based on ‘The importance and types of oscillators’. Your suggestions are invited for more topics of articles.